Tuesday, September 20, 2011

my little overachiever


little man is 5 months! the monthly photo shoot produced some good ones, but he still doesn't like smiling for the camera. I tried to take pics without looking through the lens...but as you can see, i usually missed.

So while he is a smiley boy at me (and for my phone even)
when it comes to the big 'ole nice camera, he doesn't want to show that grin.







Ben has been doing very well recently. He is actually off all his medication as it really just seemed to make him worse a lot of the time. I think part of his issues included him teething. I have no idea how long it has been hurting him, but I knew that he was exhibiting teething characteristics for awhile...and alas, we have the 2 bottom teeth poking through already...my little overachiever. He couldn't just wait.

Along with being off the meds, he is on a slightly different formula as well. It's the same as he has been using but it's the "ready made" kind. Of course, a bit more expensive, and inconvenient if I want to go out, BUT he is eating!! Although it's the "same" formula- the ready made kind actually doesn't have corn in it...interesting huh? So whatever it is, it seems to be working... right now at least. He is also using a nipple for 6+ months that seems to help him as well...again...overachiever here.

His night sleep has been getting better for the most part too. He will sleep from about 7:30/8pm - 7:30/8am (with a dreamfeed at 10/11). This morning I heard him talking away to himself at about 5:45, but he went back to sleep until about 7:45. So fantastic. Nap wise he isn't the greatest. Most are usually 45 minutes and sometimes he wakes happy, other times he wakes cranky. We are working on it though. And I would rather him be a better night sleeper than napper anyway.

Things are getting easier and I just want to thank the Lord for that. It's been a HARD 5 months, and I am sure there will still be hard times, but I am learning. Not to bring up this song again, but seriously, Blessings by Laura Story is a GREAT SONG. BUY IT NOW.

The first time I was reading through the lyrics I started to cry and cried throughout this part:

We pray for wisdom Your voice to hear
We cry in anger when we cannot feel You near
We doubt Your goodness
We doubt Your love
As if every promise from Your Word is not enough

And all the while You hear each desperate plea
Lord, that we'd have faith to believe
Because what if your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights
are what it takes to know you're near
What if trials of this life
are Your mercies in disguise

I just felt like this hit me like it was ME SPEAKING. Me thinking those first thoughts EXACTLY. And then me realizing these 'blessings' in disguise. Not that other moms who have it super easy take their child for granted but when Ben was having a good day and etc. It made me enjoy him that much more. I appreciated all the little things. Hard to explain. And I am not sure I am at the point yet to say "I am so glad I went through that because I learned so much- this and that...etc.". But maybe when I am actually "through it" (for longer than a week), I will be wise enough to recognize it that way.

I feel like I just processed out loud...or via typing. Thanks for listening...er...reading.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Nicole,

    It's Carrie Edwards here. You totally don't have to post this(because it will be long!) but I saw some of your recent posts and know how hard it can be with infants and how unpredictable and unscheduled they can be against our greatest efforts and prayers. I will also be one to say, "you are not alone". I saw Ben's taking 45 minute naps and wanted to encourage you that I had a similar experience for awhile with Natalie & Kinley. For the first 6 months they were, like Ben, the dreaded 45-nappers (despite being fantastic night sleepers). I hated it, did everything I could to extend naps (with two, it totally sucked and I resorted to separating them during nap times) but nothing really worked. In spite of scouring the internet for tips and reading several books and resources, my efforts fell short (isn't that how the Lord teaches us to depend on him?!) and I had to come to terms with the fact that they may always be short nappers and accept that and be happy.

    Anyway, around 6 months they came to and FINALLY started to have extended naptimes; 1 hour, 1.5 hours, 2 hours! (insert gasp). BTW- my sister also had a similar experience with her little one up until around 6 months when he turned a corner. So, I am mainly writing to offer a little encouragement. It can be so frustrating when you do everything possible to "fix" his short naps but just accept where he's at right now and hope for the future, I fully believe that he will extend his naptimes and then you will be that much more grateful of the time he is getting the sleep he needs (and the time and rest you need!). So be encouraged, know you aren't alone, and that your efforts to do what's best for Ben will be rewarded... hopefully next month when he turns 6 months old! You are a perfect mommy for him. He's precious and I can't imagine how difficult it's been dealing with his feeding and digestive issues for the past 5 months. keep your head up Nicole, and keep seeking and depending on our Father and his infinite grace,love and mercy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carrie! The last 2 days one of his naps lasted 2 hours! I just want him to be rested, ya know? He is so much happier rested :)

    ReplyDelete