Ever heard of Dave Ramsey or Financial Peace University? It's basically a class that can help you get out of debt if you are in it, or just teach you how to manage your money (well, God's money). Anyway, Joey and I just finished taking the classes through our church with our shepherd group and 1) I recommend it to EVERYONE and 2) the last lesson totally hit me. hard. and what i got from it had nothing to do with money.
In the last lesson Dave was talking about how God is a giver. Therefore, we should be/are (since we are made in his image, etc.). Anyway, he took it further than giving money...
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16
He GAVE his ONE AND ONLY SON. And BAM. i thought. Benjamin. My ONE AND ONLY SON. What?! God gave his one and only for ME.
Yes, I have heard this plenty of times before, and it hits me hard in different ways, but it did it again, and this time I think it's the hardest. Because I will tell you right now, I would not give Ben for anyone. I'm sorry. Not going to happen. Judge me if you will. It is simply incomprehensible to me.
And that's exactly how God's love for us is. incomprehensible. I think I love Joey? God loves me more. I think I love Ben? God loves me more. God gave his most precious thing, for me.
I don't think I will every really get this. I still sit here and think what? I just don't get it. I don't get that kind of love. I can't imagine giving Ben for someone. Especially for someone who constantly fails and is such a sinner. A sinner Jesus never was. God gave perfection for imperfection.
So today, and always, I am thankful. Thankful for my one and only son. Thankful that I can experience just a .0000000001% of the love God has for me through him. And most importantly thankful for Jesus. Thankful for His sacrifice, for the Lord's sacrifice for my life. So that I may have life, and have it to the full. For eternity. Amen.

No comments:
Post a Comment