these past couple weeks have been challenging, exhausting, and well, momlike i guess. The biggest challenge we have been dealing with is Ben's reflux. He began with massive spit-up episodes. I mentioned this before, but when i say massive, i mean massive. Like an erupting volcano of milk from Ben's mouth...just loads. So that was bad, but the reflux got worse eventually leading to the last couple weeks of Ben really not wanting to eat anything more than 2 ounces at one time. (To put that in perspective he had previously downed 5 ounces no problem). So 2 weeks ago we started zantac... the spitting up stopped! But, the refusal to eat, did not. So a week ago we started a different med- prevacid. It didn't seem to help, and the other day was a bad one... SO i called the pediatrician again (i probably had like 5 calls in between these 2 weeks*), and made an appointment for yesterday.
*I am sure they have memorized my phone # at the pediatrician and roll their eyes whenever I call. Yes i called that often. But i really just wanted this issue solved!
But I digress... so anyway, went to the pediatrician again yesterday to check Ben's weight and re-asses. I made the appointment at a time that I knew Ben would eat so I could feed him in front of the doctor. Oh, but when that time comes, what does Ben do? He eats the ENTIRE 4 ounces with no break, JUST FINE. I mean. it was so ridiculous I just had to laugh. He hadn't done that in so long, of course he chooses to do it the 1 time I actually wanted him to throw his fit.
However, because this I just knew would happen, i had previously videotaped him eating and was able to show that to the doctor too. Yet, because the morning wasn't as bad as it had previously been AND Ben decided to pretend that he was a perfect eater at the doctor, the decision was to continue a bit longer on the prevacid too see if that was beginning to work... and... i really think it is! (knock on wood everyone who reads this. thankyou). He has still fussed at a couple feedings since then, but has been significantly better. It is so refreshing and encouraging, and I am just really praying this continues. And for all of you who have been praying for Ben- DON'T STOP! hahah. It is working and thank you thank.
So that is the update on the reflux. I am encouraged (wearily of course), but hopeful that Ben is in less pain, eating will be better, and he probably will even begin to eat more. Praise the Lord. Seriously. Thank you Lord.
In other Ben news...
He has learned to roll over! At least he has done it 5 times and I even got in on tape. For your viewing pleasure:
That was funny to me because I was just so proud and excited when he did it. I mean, he rolled over. "big whoop" right? well, apparently yes, yes it is. I would also like to note that he usually rolled all the way to his back...
I am also trying to begin to wean Ben from his swaddle. He has been swaddled from day one pretty much for all naps and every bedtime. (*side note: if you are pregnant or a new mom get at least two of these swaddles. They are perfect for little baby to sleep in every night. They are easy to use and you don't have to worry that it's going to come undone and go over their face or whatever. One of the BEST baby items). So anyway, today is day one of no nap swaddling... he is sleeping now.. shhh

You'll also notice he isn't sleeping in his crib yet. I wish he was, but with his reflux, I am just not ready to go there yet. This newborn sleeper (another item I believe is a must have for new moms) really keeps him very elevated while sleeping. So that is where he sleeps right now. Once we have the reflux 100% under control, and the swaddle is gone, I will transition him to the crib. We do have a wedge under the mattress now in the crib, so that will hopefully help, but it really doesn't keep him that elevated. I am a little fearful the transition to the crib will be a bit difficult, but I'd rather him be more elevated now...and really Ben is such a good baby, I bet he'll take the change like a champ.
Lastly, even though the reflux has been horrendous, it has caused doctor's visits with weigh ins and I love seeing him grow. So current weight at 11 weeks: 13 pounds 3 ounces. I know, he's probably heavier than your 4 month old...
No comments:
Post a Comment