Thursday, July 21, 2011

setting up the pins for knocking them down

wake up, feed little man, play with him, put him down for nap, feed him, play with him, put him down for another nap, feed him, maybe run some errands, naptime!, feed him, play with him, cat naps here and there, feed him, play, another cat nap, feed him, bathe him, put him to bed...3ish hours later, feed him again, go to sleep. start all over. (somewhere in there I have to eat, maybe do some laundry, clean some dishes, keep the house decent looking...etc.)

there are definitely times that this...routine...becomes tiresome (especially since feeding him is a huge pain). I actually love routine, definitely part of my personality, but, especially at little man's age, the days are very similar. I'm not gonna lie, it gets hard and even "boring" -for lack of a better word- I am definitely constantly busy! Many times I feel just like I am "setting up the pins for knocking them down". (Please note* I love little man and taking care of him. Just being a bit honest about real life mom struggles).

I was introduced to the phrase "setting up the pins for knocking them down" by a Sara Groves song. For one, it's fun and catchy. Two- it's so true and just really spoke to me. When I first heard it I was working full time and it meant something different to me then. I did feel at times this song was true to me- but I did have a bit more freedom in my time and schedule and life in general, that now, with Ben, the song takes on a whole new meaning. I really do feel like every day I set up the pins (e.g. clean all his bottles) just to knock them down (dirty them with feeding - 6 times a day!). The video of this song well represents the idea (particularly the part with the diapers...that's my favorite).

Anyway, the point to all this rambling can be found in particularly this verse:

"my grandmother had a working song
hummed it low, all day long
sing for the beauty that's to be found
in setting up the pins for knocking them down"

The image this creates is a content, relaxed woman going through the "daily grind" humming. joyful. it encourages me that 1) the life of a stay at home mom IS meaningful and 2) the daily routine of being a stay at home mom IS joyful. There is a beauty in these details. No matter how small or seemingly 'simple', these pieces of life are important.

I know that my job as mom is meaningful and important. But coming from a job working in international adoption, it's a lot harder to see the tangible results as a stay at home mom. Before I could see the children and families united and home together as a tangible outcome. These tangible results aren't as obvious and easily found now. But. I know they're there and I know I am called to do this and making a difference although seen in a very different way.

This post encourages my heart as a mom. Read it. Motherhood is a calling and yes, a job. Setting up those pins for knocking them down is hugely important. Not only important, but a command from the Lord. I can do this joyfully. I can (and want to!) sacrifice my time and freedom for the love of my life. (Well, one of the loves). After all, Jesus sacrificed a lot more for me.

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.
3 John 1:4

No comments:

Post a Comment