Monday, February 1, 2010

nineteen.

time for another poem post. this one was from an assignment in my poetry class - to imitate a poem named "nineteen". of course, i don't remember who wrote the one i was supposed to imitate. but i really liked writing this one....


nineteen

That springtime in Virginia, everything was new and fresh
the flowers, the trees, the people.
I met a boy who told me what I wanted to hear.  I was naive,
feeding off what was given to me.
I questioned the intentions fleetingly. I never slept.
Each time I returned to the deception, older and used, carrying the burden of the truth in the back of my mind.

At nineteen, away from  home, I wanted to seize the opportunity.
His eyes were gray. Casting shadows on his empty claims, and like a fool, I'd smile.
He knew what to do and what to say, how to appease me and how to keep hidden.
We went to a crystal city and the walls fell down that night.

I asked and asked myself how each scar felt.
How I let it come to this point.
As the lies came to light and the facade began to crumble, "He didn't understand" was all he said.
A sudden storm came that night and the flash from the lightning illuminated the truth
He uttered yet, another false promise, and I left.

[nicole.m.wiegold]

No comments:

Post a Comment